I like to stay on top of trends in science. Believe me, I’ve seen a few! It doesn’t mean I’ll adopt a new trend necessarily. Right now, Next Generation Science Standards, NGSS , dominate science instruction. Project Based Learning, PBL and Storylines dominate instruction. Storylines takes an overarching idea or topic to construct lessons. The goal is to make science relatable. These lessons, based on questions, replace textbooks and form the curriculum, which is altogether another issue. Often the topics are political. I decided to take a good look at different storylines to see what might be useful. Some of the material would make solid electives. Let’s take a look!
1. ACS: There are two Middle School Storylines: Lava Lamp and Ocean Acidification. The contents are excellent. In Lava Lamp, students explore measures, density, kinetics, and heat transfer. I might try Lava Lamp. Ocean Acidification has lessons on atoms, bonding, compounds, solutions, reaction rate, and pH. The last three lessons center on the effects of CO2 gases, ocean acidification, and the effects on shellfish. The final project is a presentation to the public about the problem which is a result of burning fossil fuels. That’s the problem. Kiddos in 6th-8th grade are not in a position to consider all of the issues surrounding renewable and nonrenewable resources, which are complex. Do we really want to discuss Rare Earths and Conflict Metals when a child asks why we just stop burning gas in our cars and drive EVs? I think not.
2. This website, Teaching with Storylines, from Alaska Science Teachers, has websites for a ton of storyline sources. NGSS has selected storylines, developed by a number of sources. How do Eggs Become Chickens? has wide appeal, especially if you can incubate fertilized eggs. Its focus is embryonic development, which has the hand of God writ large.
3. The BSCS Middle School Storylines look apolitical. Registration and all content are free. (OpenSci operates under Creative Commons.) The content is tremendous! Below is the TOC for Weather.
4. The Water Chemistry sample unit on AMTA’s unit is free and applicable for kiddos 10-12.
5. The Wonder of Science is more of a DIY storyline site. Teachers piece together their curriculum. However, if you want to shop for an interesting elective, start here with mini lessons or Phenomena, such as The Drinking Bird which has a half-life of ten minutes once kiddos start to play with it, much like the hand boiler.
6. Two popular programs are inquiryHub Biology and inquiryHub Chemistry, which has Fuels and Nuclear Energy—both good electives for upper-level students.
7. Many, many public school districts are adopting OpenSciEd. I like to look at the kits first before I look at the curriculum. Next, I look at the Chemistry curriculum. Energy from Chemical and Nuclear Processes has political overtones. (Actually all of these do.) However, the storyline and lesson overview have good content, such as the lessons on combustion and bond energy. Make the discussion surrounding transportation personal. One of the families in our Co-op have eleven children; the Mercedes diesel van needs to run a million miles. What about the costs to manufacture a new car? Hey! The curriculum is free. Many of the materials needed for labs are accessible. Look it over.














No comments:
Post a Comment