The WSJ just posted an article, The Public Backs Nuclear Energy. I’m a fan of nuclear energy. Years ago I took a teacher program. Subsequently, I’ve taught aspects of Nuclear Energy whenever I can squeeze it in. Are there issues? Of course! But, remember there are pros and cons to every type of energy resource; apart from radiation risks, the big issue with nuclear energy is long-term waste storage. Below are resources.
1. Outline History of Nuclear Energy is a good place to start. Create a giant timeline! Include key scientists or focus on a chronology of events.
2. inquiryHub Chemistry has a Nuclear Energy unit, intended for classrooms. (High School Chemistry classrooms often use this iHub curriculum with phenomena and storylines.) The lessons use in-vogue techniques designed for large classrooms. I find some of the techniques hokey. However, it gives you a complete framework.
3. I think the Middle-School level program, The Harnessed Atom (teacher’s guide) is worthwhile. Here is the student’s guide. There are more links here at the Nuclear Museum’s webpage.
4. For years I used Science, Society, and America’s Nuclear. (Here are recent policy recommendations for nuclear waste.). I still like the program and ideas. The NRC Lessons and Activties are quite similar. Be sure to calculate your annual dose of radiation. The results may surprise you. Another of my favorites is Radioactive Decay Chains. The Mousetrap Chain Reaction is the classic demo for an uncontrolled, nuclear, chain reaction.
5. Did you know tourists can visit Chernobyl and Fukushima? Chernobyl is currently closed owing to the war in Ukraine. Would you want to visit the site of a nuclear disaster? Hard pass, for me. I am fascinated by the idea of touring Chernobyl.





No comments:
Post a Comment