What are some alternative spaces to teach class, especially Co-op classes? I have taught or trained in classroom, churches, and libraries. I’ve had trainings at hotels. Where should you try to locate space? What do you need, at minimum? Basically, you need an open space with tables, chairs, and a whiteboard or chalkboard. Wi-Fi is also nice. Any equipment, such as an LCD projector or a sink, is an extra. Where can you meet?
Start with your church. A church basement is ideal. (Our son once had a meeting space in the basement of the rectory with its own entrance.) Who wants to worry about any wear and tear? This is usually the easiest option. Often religious education classrooms are available during the week. (Our church cannot. There is a school during the week and over 600 kiddos for religious education Saturday morning, Sunday morning and evening, and Wednesday evening.) Be sure to check on insurance. Can the existing insurance cover another group? Does everyone need to be a member of the church? How many children may attend? Many churches already host American Heritage or scout groups and can accommodate your Co-op.
What about the library? Will they allow your group to schedule space weekly? (The local library system used to accommodate home-schoolers; more recently, the library has imposed numerous restrictions making it difficult to use the space for classes.) Again, if the library is a go, are there any restrictions? Are you permitted to use the Maker Space? Can they lend equipment, such as a 3D printer or microscope? Do they have a portable whiteboard? When you schedule the room, schedule the equipment, too.
Do you have a senior center in your town? (I once taught at a school which leased space from a nursing home and used an adjacent house and a double-wide for classes.) If the center is an option, assess the space. Can you create a hot-spot if there is no Wi-Fi? Is there a way to prop a portable whiteboard for notes? Since I teach science, I want enough space for labs and any equipment I drag to class. Is here a sink? Will I need to bring water jugs and empty containers for waste?
For the past few years, our Co-op has met in our house—mainly in the basement. However, we use the dining room for small groups. Rob does several physics experiments outside, such as Centripetal Forces or measuring the height of the house. This fall we’ll use the deck and garage to keep the noise down for the finance class meeting at the same time. Yes, someone is always hanging out on the couch before, during, and after class waiting for a student. A few stay for lunch to get extra help after class. The half-bath gets a workout. (Have you heard of Charmin Forever? I use industrial rolls of TP.) We make it work. Co-op fills in many gaps. We are committed. Here’s hoping you can find space for yours!

No comments:
Post a Comment