Monday, August 24, 2026

Which microscope should I buy for Biology class?

 I know many of you are struggling to decide whether or not to invest in an expensive microscope.  Many families worry they are depriving their kiddos of a proper science education unless they invest in pricy equipment.  You aren’t!  The purpose in Biology is to learn the names of the microscope parts, how to focus a microscope, and how to sketch images you observe with a microscope.  

If you have a bare bones budget, buy a clip-on microscope for your cell phone.





We use USB microscopes with laptops or similar devices all the time.  The kiddos focus the microscope, snap a screenshot, and then sketch.




I bought one, nicer microscope from Amazon.  (Others I bought used or were donated.). The microscope’s resolution is fantastic.  We’ve used it for Biology and Advanced Biology, which has extensive Histology, requiring better microscopes.  If you want a splurge, this is a fine piece of equipment.


The first set of microscope slides is for younger kiddos.  Do you have limited funds?  Shop for a deal on this set, intended for elementary students.  Your teen will still have a microscope experience-which is the goal!


This set consists of plain glass slides, intended for DIY slides.  Truthfully, we only used prepared slides at Co-op


When I first taught Biology Co-op classes, I bought a set of 25 slides from Amscope.  There are cheaper sets; some of these sets turn out to have all botany slides or just histology slides.  It’s nice to have a mix of slides for General Biology.  


Compare these slides with the set recommended by Apologia.



Look at listings for larger microscope sets.  We used a set of 100 slides for Advanced Biology, which has a ton of Histology.  I didn’t buy the Apologia set because most of the slides were in the set of 100 I already had.  




Stop fretting!  Ask friends with kiddos in public or private schools.  How often do they use a microscope in their Biology classes?  You may be surprised.  Just remember your goal is to give your teen a microscope experience—not break your budget.

No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...