This fall, I’m teaching Chemistry again for Co-op. Do I know what I’m doing? A little bit. While my undergrad degree was in Biology, I had a concentration in Chemistry. By chance, I taught a great deal of Chemistry over the years. I sought certification in Chem and eventually earned National Boards in Chem. I even taught Chem as an adjunct to teachers and non traditional students at a local college for several years. It’s my favorite subject to teach.
We use the second edition of Apologia’s Chemistry textbook. (Early printings of the third edition of Chemistry, by Apologia are rife with error. I don’t like the idea of families paying full price to ensure their children have textbooks free from error.) Here are my lessons, which coincide with the modules. Along with the lessons are many notes, links to slide decks and labs. Truthfully, I add loads of labs. My goal is always to do 50. We do some of the experiments from the textbook, such as the Common Household Chemical Examples of Acids and Bases, and the Width of a Molecule. Others I tend to modify, change a bit, or just substitute. This year I bought used MicroChem and Radmaste kits from Good Will and eBay. The teens will use these and maintain their own kits.
I post frequently about the Co-op classes and include links to labs. Why? I want to remain accountable. Do we really do all of these labs? Yes! I have had push-back from some of the online schools about the caliber of instruction. I explained to the online consultants that I’m an experienced, Chemistry teacher and sent my blog link and copies of my credentials. (Yes, each time I was affronted.) I also explained each time that the course was lab-based. I mean it when I say we strive to do 50 labs. We require four, formal, written lab reports, required by several online schools. I try to set a high bar. I want you to be able to help your teen master chemistry. This year, more than ever, I’m going to do my best to support you with labs, lessons, videos, and activities. Let’s have a great year!


No comments:
Post a Comment