Monday, August 10, 2026

Why do I do so many labs?

 Did you ever wonder where all the pristine, used  kits available on eBay or at Good Will originate?  In some cases, families switched courses after ordering a kit; other, expensive kits may have been presents.  Sometimes, the family just decides to skip the labs and focus on the science textbooks.  Do the labs!  For the longest time, I prioritized the textbook and lecture over the labs.  (Sure we did some.)  I was teaching professionally and encountered the most difficult chemistry students in my career, a Conceptual Chemistry class.  They kiddos had behavioral issues.  Many had profound learning differences.  So many of my teaching tools didn’t work.  Guess what worked?  Hands-on labs.  I loaded up labs.  One student had a close friend in one of my college-bound chemistry classes.  She asked why her class seldom did labs?  The Conceptual class did fun things all the time!  I had an epiphany!  If more labs worked with the most difficult teens I had ever encountered, wouldn’t more labs work with any kid?  

More often than not, I start with a lab or hands-on activity.  Sure, I have an overview or brief introduction.  But, I launch the lab ASAP.  Why?  Once the teens do the lab we can talk about the concept.  I can use the equipment as props to discuss the underlying science.  I added C-E-R , Concept Maps , and hands-on replacements for nomenclature, such as Putting Ions in Their Hands.  Eventually, I did some consulting on ways to integrate more hands-on instruction in science classes.  I never looked back.  Do my classes read their textbooks?  Of course!  However, the content in the textbook, just like the direct instruction, is more meaningful after a lab, a demo, or a hands-on activity.  Don’t skip the lab.  Try doing the experiment first!  What do you have to lose?  You may see that the kiddos come away with a deeper understanding.  I do!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Instant Science: LEGO Klutz Kit

 This past summer, I gave the kiddos Klutz Chain Reaction kits.  They were a hit!  Chain Reactions, Gadgets, and Gear Bots come with a set o...