Wednesday, October 5, 2022

Apologia Chemistry: More Heat labs!

 When I do heat labs, I like to do several.  We aren’t doing Module 4 yet.  However, we are doing two more heat labs: Experiment 4.3, Condensing Steam in an Enclosed Vessel, and  Phase Changes or Heating Curve of Water Lab.  We’re crushing cans and watching water boil tomorrow.  There is an extensive video demonstrating how to crush cans below.  



The other lab, Heating Curve of Water Lab, is akin to watching paint dry.  The kids collect the data and graph ice melting and water boiling.  Here is a heating curve graph.  Immediately below is a screenshot of a more typical graph of a heating curve.




  In between, we’re working on Specific Heat problems.  If time permits, I’ll post a step by step video explaining my techniques for solving word problems when kids struggle with Algebra.



No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...