There are several experiments about physical change or physical vs chemical properties in Modules 3 and 4. I like to lump several of these experiments together. Experiment 3.1 measures the electrical conductivity of several solutions with a homemade conductivity probe. (This link has a lab and detailed instructions for making the conductivity probe. I bought conductivity pens for about $8 each.). The kids follow up with Experiment 4.1, Separating a Mixture of Sand and Salt. I mix Magic sand, iron filings, and salt for the mixture. The kids follow the lab from the textbook; however, I provide spoons and magnets to help separate the mixture. I skip Experiment 4.2 because it calls for The Works, which is extremely caustic. Now is a good time to do Experiment 4.3, Condensing Steam…. We did this during the Heat Labs. While you have out a hot plate, boil some water to do, Experiment 4.4, Kinetic Theory. We do a Paper Chromatography Lab, too. It’s as good time to squeeze this lab in and review physical properties of matter. This lab explains chromatography pretty well. I think the kids should graph a heating curve, too. (This blog post has links and examples.) My kids are working on nomenclature and hand warmers right now. Next week, I’ll schedule the Module 3 and 4 lab series while we work on more nomenclature. Below are pix of the conductivity pen and Magic sand.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...



No comments:
Post a Comment