I just returned from the UK. Rob and I were visiting family; my son is stationed at an RAF in England. My brother lives in Wales. We are boring. Yes, we visited three museums. It occurred to be earlier to check the museum resources. But, are the science resources different, too? Yes! No, I don’t mean the spelling. Yes, the UK sites often have a different take.
1. What is the UK’s National Science Curriculum? How do they compare to the NGSS? Look at these NGSS sample lessons. Personally, I think the NGSS lard their lessons with jargon and politics. Look at the UK K-1 Sound Lesson. It has lessons and videos, materials teachers actually use, rather than jargon rational people ignore.
2. Look at British Science Week’s Activity packs. The Early Years has Which pegs are best for keeping washing on the line? Most UK homes have a small washer; families hang out their wash owing to the cost of electricity. The Primary Pack has How can you tell how old a shark is? It is different from aging fish. The Secondary packet has What’s the best way to protect important objects? I hadn’t thought about curation and the necessary science. The UK is teaming with antiquities.
3. Are you considering a field trip to a museum? Look at this Science Museum Group post. I like the idea of the Great Object Hunt for younger kiddos. The post has many ideas to help make the museum visit more engaging. In the U.S. many museums have scavenger hunts. Print or ask for a copy.
4. Oxford and Cambridge publish science booklets. While hunting I came across Science Experiments for Primary Schools. While old (1992), the experiments are cheap and easy to replicate at home. There are nearly 600 pages of experiments. Look at 6.1 Metals Expand When Heated or 7.7 How A Drinking Straw Works.
No comments:
Post a Comment