What is Claim Evidence Reasoning CER? First, it’s another tool to get kiddos to think. Next week, I ‘m using the density bottle to get kids to make an observation and explain just what is happening. The Density Bottle is an example of a discrepant event. (I bought mine here. In fact, I put my original bottle in a safe spot and thought it was gone. It’s so cool, bottles do walk off sometimes. Surprise! Now I have two.) How does the demo work? I pull out the bottle, shake it, and let kids watch the beads settle into the middle. They write down what is happening, based on evidence, and explain their reasoning. The bottle has salt water and alcohol. (Here and here are instructions to make your own bottle. We tried this summer at Maker Camp. Exactly one bottle worked. One. I want to try with distilled water and or higher quality salt. Here is an explanation about salt water density.) The clear liquid in the bottle has a mixture of water, alcohol, and salt. Additionally, the beads are UV Beads and plastic, pony beads. The beads have a different compositions and different densities. The Density Bottle is a favorite. Anything different is good. Kiddos like to think about a discrepant event! Yes, I work harder to make Chem interesting. Why? Chem is hard. However labs and demos are fun. I have to achieve a balance to keep the teens engaged. (Yes, I did use the density bottle with the YECP Middle School class. They liked it, too!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment