Friday, September 18, 2026

CER: Claim Evidence Reasoning What am I leaving for my husband when I plan to miss Co-op one class?

Update: It’s a little ridiculous to have this many posts.  However, this blog post is part of the notes I’m leaving for my husband, Rob. He is NOT cavalier about lessons.  At. All.  I have written notes, pulled materials, made copies, and created a lesson in Classroom, and now have created a post.  This is the sort of detail he likes. 

My husband, Rob is subbing for me this week; I’m having surgery and plan to get back in one week.  The Chem class is in the initial stages: tools, such as spreadsheets, data analysis, such as percent error, significant figures, etc.  Now is the time I introduce CER or Claim Evidence Reasoning.  

I modified a CER Slide Deck.  The lesson begins with examples of CER.  Here is a blank CER template.  Step one is to show the kiddos the data table below.  ‘Are any of the liquids the same substance.’  The table and question are the best approach I’ve found to introduction CER.  (There is an answer key in the slide deck.)


The next part is to show the density bottle.  Here is an explanation.


Have the kiddos explain what is happening.  The tricky part is to get them to write down their claims, explanations, and reasoning without calling them out and influencing their peers.  

There are other videos in the slide deck with discrepancies two discrepant events: disappearing beaker and shrinking volume.  The final activity is Reaction in a Bag.


Finally, the kids are going to summarize their observations on a CER template.  I also left three quizzes and a stack of worksheets to practice significant figures, scientific notation, and conversions.  Remember when I said I leave sub plans which take a week?  I was sincere.  Here is the list on the whiteboard.  Rob announced that we need to review all of these plans again on Monday.  Aaaaaarrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhh!  I’m certainly motivated to make a swift recovery.





No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...