Friday, September 25, 2026

Microscale Chemistry

Are you teaching Apologia’s Chemistry course?  Did you look at the optional  MicroChem Experiment Lab Kit?  New kits are very expensive.  Even used kits are expensive.  You don’t need a kit to do microscale!  (Take a look at this Blog Post for even more information.)


I’m on a quest to locate microchem, microscale, and small scale labs and lab equipment.  Why?  Microchem is safer and can be cheaper.  Start here and here with these microscale introductions.  Here is Bob Worley’s YouTube page.  

There are loads and loads of  microscale experiments.  Microscale uses tiny amounts of chemicals.  Think droppers not beakers full of chemicals.  This coming year, I’ll post labs, links, and tips.  Below the image are a few links.


(The lab above is Making Ionic Compounds.  I use 0.1 M concentrations for the chemicals.  Forming and Naming Ionic Compounds has more chemicals and uses 0.2M concentrations.)

Here is an article about introduction microscale chem using plastic straws and the blister pack from chewing gum.  More examples include Solubility Rules, Pleasing Precipitates, Petri Dish Electrolysis, and Microscale Titration of Vinegar, Tea Time Chemistry is more small-scale than microscale.  Small scale means small amounts, not drops.  Tea Time also uses household chemicals.  This year, more than ever, I want to enable you to do labs with your teens.  I’ll do my best to provide ideas, resources, and support!

No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...