Below is another screenshot from an ad for chemistry experiments.
What do we have here? The title is Coffee Cup Challenge. It looks like a variation of the The Specific Heat of Metals lab. Scroll here to see an image of a standard coffee cup calorimeter.
The Coffee Cup Challenge looks as though it tests different coffee cups, such as paper cups. Notice the aluminum foil wrapper or double cup? ( I like a styrofoam cup in a glass beaker, with a lid.) The challenge is to test several versions. Which maintains a temperature of 100 degrees Celcius the longest? Try it with ice water, too. Which maintains zero degrees Celcius the longest? While you are at it, calibrate your thermometer. Proceed and do the specific heat lab.
There was a second ad—testing paper towels.
Here is a similar lab. Test different brands. The steel washers and marbles are acting as weights. I like new ideas. I understand new teachers might pay for labs. However, I am allergic to paying for a lab—especially one which has been around for a long, long time or has a simple explanation.



No comments:
Post a Comment