Update: we actually completed the preliminary lessons, such as lab safety and equipment. Whoooo! The kiddos started It’s All About Density! I use the lab to introduce spreadsheets, data analysis, scientific notation, percent error, etc. On a separate note, we have three siblings who can only meet Tuesdays. They remain after class and work on Thursdays materials. Rob and I tag out of our Middle School Chem and Physics and Consumer Math classes to check on the siblings. Happily each of us has a mom who stays to help. We’ll make this work.
Co-op Chemistry launches today! Google Classroom loaded with materials? Check! Summer assignments? Check! Slides ready? Check!
I am so ready for classes to begin. Module 1 has my Day One lessons, slide decks, labs, and activities. Day One can take two weeks. For example, here is the overview for the first lessons and labs. Along with lab safety and equipment, the focus is on measures. I have an entire series of labs, including the density series. Why? I use it to introduce lab practices, data analysis, accuracy, metric conversions—the whole lot. From the first day of Co-op class, we need to emphasize safety, learn how to produce, organize, and analyze data, and the role of math in Chem. It’s a lot! I assemble materials into kits for lab groups. The first photo is lab equipment to review.
Also in Module 1 are Quick Lab images. (See here for an overview of Wilbraham’s Chemistry textbooks.) I use Apologia’s textbook; however, the Quick Labs and the Atomic Theory Timeline are terrific. The Quick labs use simple equipment and inexpensive chemicals—perfect for home-schoolers! Below is a copy of one of the older Prentice Hall textbooks. The lab forms are in the Core Teaching Resources, which is expensive. The Teacher’s Edition has sample data with answers and tips.
This year, my goal is to pull out all the stops to deliver a chemistry curriculum parents and Co-op educators can follow and deliver. Why? Home-schooling is often part of a family’s vocation. I’m here to offer support.












No comments:
Post a Comment