A friend of mine used to say, ‘Cheaper is better.’ I buy loads of things used—particularly books and textbooks. I’ve had good luck buying used science kits, graphing calculators, and yarn from Good Will online. (Always check shipping!) The vast majority of the textbooks I buy are used from eBay, Thriftbooks, Abebooks, etc. The used book companies also sell DVDs. My target price for used books is $5 with shipping. Textbooks have increased in price recently. I don’t like to spend more than $10 for a textbook. I will spend a bit more on a teacher edition. Recently, I bought Algebra I textbooks for the families. I bought several teacher’s editions to have on hand when a child gets stuck on a problem and the parent needs to help. The best place to find used books is from the library book sales. I buy cookbooks, garden books, and quilting books as presents. I can mail a nice pile of books via media mail to family—who don’t seem to mind used books either.
I’ve had good luck buying used graphing calculators from Good Will online, but not from Amazon or eBay. I can’t remember getting one that doesn’t work. However, I only bid on operable calculators, not untested devices. I don’t buy electronics used anymore, either. I wait for Black Friday or Prime Day to buy an iPad or laptop. I bet you scour the local thrift stores for bargains already. Branch out! See if you can get more textbooks and curriculum used, especially from Good Will. Below are a few screenshots of educational bargains.





No comments:
Post a Comment