Thursday, July 18, 2024

Science on a Budget: Human Anatomy Teaching Materials

 You don’t need to spend tons of money to teach Human Anatomy.  First buy an oversized book.  I use this book as a set of posters.  


Buy a used anatomy coloring book. Try to find one ‘like new’ or ‘very good’.  I’ve purchased several, Anatomy coloring books which did not have any marks at all.


Buy a toy skeleton.  Stores put out Halloween decor so early you should be able to buy a skeleton before school starts.  The fist lesson is to do a detailed comparison of the skeleton with an atlas to look for errors. Print out a free skeleton to label with sticky notes.


Be sure to print a Brain Hemisphere Hat.   Buy clay to make bones and organs.



Additionally, there are inexpensive  labs: Nervous Experiment (paperclip), Reaction Times (ruler), Muscle Fatigue (clothespin), Exercise and Cellular Respiration Lab (straw and bromothymol blue),and Digestion Lab.

Yes, you’ll want a microscope and a set of slides. This set of slides is pretty comprehensive.  


I have several battery powered microscopes which are essentially toys.  I was astounded at the quality of these microscopes.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...