Chemistry is tricky. There is some Algebra required. Math is a good predictor because Chemistry requires algebraic logic. For example Stoichiometry is really applying ratios and solving for x. However, kids who do not have a solid background in Algebra struggle. When are teens generally ready? Most college-bound teens in tenth or eleventh grades can handle Chemistry. At that point, the kid can drag their math outside math class into Chemistry, even if it’s reluctantly. Can younger kids succeed in Chemistry? A few can. I have had eighth graders take and thrive in Chemistry. Usually, these same kids were taking Algebra II at the time, which means they took Algebra I in sixth grade. I’ll allow a few kids in ninth grade to take Chemistry if they’re bright and willing to work hard. My advice is to wait a bit and assign Chemistry later in high school.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment