Yes, we use a textbook for the Biology classes. However, I’m not wed to the book. For example, I start Apologia Biology with Ecology and Module 1 in the textbook. The kids read the module after they do the labs, activities, and intro materials. We’re using Apologia Biology’s second edition. I have a set of the third edition. But it seemed bloated. I already have loads of materials, vocabulary, etc for the kids. Plus, used copies of the second edition are cheaper. I don’t use the tests or questions often, either. I look at them; usually, I want more analysis or greater detail. Most of my tests are essays. Labeling the organelles in a cell or the parts of the microscope is a quiz, not part of a test. We do use the book for dichotomous key exercises, some experiments, and the dissections. The kids use the mitosis and meiosis diagrams to make models. Additionally, the kids start with the textbook whenever we make detailed study guides or to compare different organisms. Some families have their kids take all of the textbook tests. Some online schools want a few of these tests and the answer keys. I’m happy to communicate and cooperate with various on-line schools about the program I teach. I require four, formal lab reports, in addition to the rest of the coursework. If all you had was the textbook, it would be enough to qualify as a high school level science class. But, I have my own ideas for labs, activities, content, and projects.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment