Day One for me can last for weeks. It’s the period of time to complete a host of introductory activities, such as lab safety and equipment. Below is a list of activities we usually complete the first day of Co-op class.
1. Distribute Flinn’s Lab Safety contract to take home, read, discuss, and sign. Parents must sign the form, too.
2. Discuss Lab Safety. I have a safety DVD two of my chemistry classes created years ago, based on Flinn’s safety rules. ACS has these safety resources, too, including a poster. I have posters all over the basement classroom. Your teen could design safety posters or make Lab Safety Bumper Stickers. We conclude with a Safety test. We also review the location of safety equipment and eye-wash station (utility sink).
3. The kids take a math pretest, which we review together. The results are insightful.
4. Collect the Summer Assignment, the Periodic Table cards.
5. I drag out the lab equipment, many in this slide deck. Here is the quiz and hand-out.



No comments:
Post a Comment