Saturday, July 6, 2024

Do you use the textbook for Apologia Chemistry?

Yes, I use the second edition of Apologia’s Chemistry textbook by Dr. Wile, not third edition, which does not have good reviews.  During COVID, I taught Chemistry remotely.  That year I followed the textbook in the correct order of modules and assigned the experiments from the book.  However, even that year, I added a great deal of material.  Families collected three kits off my porch.  

Generally, the kids read the module after I teach the unit.  It makes more sense afterwards.  I invest much more time than the modules offer teaching the properties of elements, nomenclature, balancing, and Stoichiometry.  I think teens need 50 or more examples in order to name compounds.  The same is true for balancing.  I taught Chem for many years; I have loads of materials, molecule kits, and labs.  The Apologia Chemistry textbook is more of a guide and safety net.  I cooperate with online schools. I assign four written labs and will supply graded tests and keys upon request.  I’m happy to share links to labs, my tests, activities, etc.  My goal is to exceed the standards set in the Apologia textbook. Chemistry is a tough subject to master independently.  Could a teen learn from Dr. Wile’s textbook alone?  Sure.  But, I bet that teen spends hours at Khan Academy or YouTube making sense of the material.  Do I use the textbook?  Yes, but not slavishly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...