Saturday, July 13, 2024

Digital Portfolios

 I started blogging in earnest to document my science classes for Mother of Divine Grace School (MODG) The Co-op families wanted loads of photos of the labs.  MODG likes evidence of labs.  I’ve sent the blog address to online schools ever since.  In fact, the blog website can be part of a digital portfolio.

Here, here , and here are samples of digital portfolios.  I like to organize everything into a slide deck.  During Co-op classes, I usually take photos to post on the blog.  Kids also scan and submit assignments electronically, which are saved in Google Classroom.  Families can capture grades from Classroom in a spreadsheet.  Additionally, they can copy pix from the blog.  I try to make it easy for families to document their science classes into a portfolio.  Here are a few tips.

1.  I like a slide deck.  But you can scan everything into any type of electronic file or into Google Classroom.  When you set up the slide deck, add pix of the textbooks, notebooks, etc.  

2.  Do you belong to an online school?  Check their requirements.  Add the required number of work samples for each term.  I usually add both links to documents and scanned samples.  Many schools want lab reports.  I like to add lab pix and data spreadsheets to go along with the formal report.  

3.  Grade each assignment posted in the portfolio.  Some schools want a copy of the test and an answer key.  You can save time if you use Google Classroom.  Upload the test to Classroom and scan the key.  You’ll have a record of the grade with the test.  

4. Stay on top of your program.  Try to take photos of work often.  Get in the habit of taking a photo of the test immediately after grading the test.  Scan the answer key and save it with the test.  

5.  Save everything in one place.  Sure, you can stuff all of the child’s work into a large envelope to sort quarterly.  It’s easier to take photos and save them in Google Drive, Classroom, in a slide deck, or even in a folder on your phone.  The more you document, the easier it is to assemble the portfolio. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...