Chemmatters is a high school level chemistry magazine. When I teach Chemistry, I subscribe to the magazine. The article, Sugar, and the Teacher’s Guide are good examples of this resource. Here is an archive of free articles. I like to assign a few articles with questions as enrichment. When I have kids who are artistic, I look for articles, such as What’s in Your Paintbox? I add artsy labs, such as Make Your Own Watercolor Paint, Paper Marbling, or Hydro Dip Painting.
Browse the articles for a theme. I had a student interested in Ferrofluids. You can experiment with magnetism and ferrofluids.
I used this article, about Tattoos with my Composition class this past year. The kids read the article, discussed the pros and cons, and wrote an opinion piece. I’ve done this in Chemistry classes, too. Recently, there were studies suggesting a link between tattoos and lymphoma. If your teen wants a tattoo, you might do some research together. The original tattoo article from Chemmatters is an excellent place to start.


No comments:
Post a Comment