Thursday, July 4, 2024

Science on a Budget: Mini Digital Scales

 Prime Day is looming around the corner.  It’s a good time to check for sales. I bought a couple off-season and paid $11 each. We use digital scales all the time in the science classes, especially in Chemistry and Physics.  The scales need to be work horses.  I have had good luck with this model.


I first ran across these scales when I bought eScience kits to cannibalize for lab equipment.   I compared prices for mini scales at eBay, Walmart, Temu, and Amazon.  The price is about $6 each.  The problem lies with the quality.  I bought three off-brands and pitched them after a month.  Buy the scale from Walmart or Amazon, where it is easy to return it if it’s defective.  Check the scale’s accuracy with coins.  A penny minted after 1982 is 2.5 g.  Here are the coin specifications.   Below are screenshots and a video explaining how to weigh with a digital scale. I strongly recommend buying a digital scale for your labs.  







No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...