Tuesday, July 9, 2024

Some Commercial Science Freebies!

 There are several science suppliers, all of whom offer free catalogs.  I like to browse the catalogs for lab ideas.  When I taught at schools with a science budget for supplies, I tried new kits to see the lab and its materials.  Sometimes the kit was the same price as the chemicals.  Kit it is!  I even ordered supplies for colleagues who found the ordering process too daunting.  But, these companies offer freebies.  Let me share a few.  Here, here, here, and here are digital catalogs to browse.  Now for some more freebies; many companies organize teacher resources: Ward’s World, Carolina Labsheets, PITSCO Program Resources (These are very limited.), NASCO Teacher Resources, Ted’s Vault of Science, Educational Innovations’ Free Lesson Ideas, Arbor Scientific Education Center, and Home Science Tools Resource Center.  Below are a few samples of the resources available.  Take a look and see why I cite Flinn so often.  However, Arbor Scientific has some great labs my husband plans to use in his Physics class.

1. Joke Juice is a polymer lab similar to slime.

2. Live Materials Care Guide is useful to use to start a worm garden with annelids.

3.  Headline Discoveries, such as How AI Helped Decipher an Ancient Scroll are fun.

4. Tree Study is good if you can work with a forestry educator and borrow equipment.  

5. Diffusion—Passive Transport has the iodine and cornstarch diffusion lab.

6. 7 Optical System Lab Activities has several ideas, such as the Virtual Images Lab. 

7.  HST has this Dissection Guide.





No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...