Friday, April 4, 2025

ACS Chemistry: Investigating Your World

 I was browsing eBay and ran across a kit I’ve never seen before.  I am NOT suggesting you bid on the kit.  It is way too expensive.


But, I was interested to see if the ACS has published the labs associate with the kit.  Yes!  Here is the ACS webpage for Investigating Your World.  Take a look at the Materials list, all household supplies, except for universal indicator, bromothymol blue, and the self-inflating balloons.  The lessons and student activity sheets are all easy to follow.  Below are images of the household chemicals and other supplies, in case you are unfamiliar with their chemical names.  All of thes experiments are relatively straight forward.

1. Citric Acid is usually located with canning supplies at Walmart or the grocery store.

2. Sodium Carbonate is also called washing soda.  


3.  Sodium bicarbonate is baking soda.  


4. Calcium chloride is often the main ingredient in Driveway Heat.  Be sure to check the label of other brands to be sure the contents are not sodium chloride, or rock salt.




5. Two indicators used are phenolphthalein and bromothymol blue.



6. Hand warmers and self-inflating balloons are nice extras.  But, don’t feel obliged to buy these just for the labs.


7. Plastic paint palettes work well as reaction plates.




No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...