I subscribe to Chemmatters and AACT whenever I teach Chemistry. I rely on both for original articles, ideas, and fun labs. But many of the Chemmatters articles are free. Chemmatters articles have topic which interest kids: 3D Printed Food, Pimple Patches, Bugs and the Future of Meat, How to Raise a Jellyfish, and Ice, Cream…and Chemistry. Be sure to browse the Resources for Teachers section. I usually focus on the questions for discussion. Look at this Emergency Lesson Plan: Chocolate: The New Health Food. Or is It? (When I taught in public and private schools, I saved Chemmatters articles with questions in a drawer as emergency lesson plans—for the day you’re just too sick to supply detailed notes for the sub.) You can assign a simple writing lesson: Is chocolate healthy? Explain. It’s considered old fashioned to have your child read and article and write a response. Print a few articles and questions to set aside when your week has just been chaos as emergency plans. Make these part of your safety net for your home-school curriculum—just like the novel and book report.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment