Saturday, April 19, 2025

Family Summer Science: DIY Paint, Pigments, and Ink!

 The first time I let a class of teens create ink I thought the project was a bit lame.  The kids didn’t.  Lesson learned.  Kiddos like to make useful products.  Here are some ideas.

1. Easy Koolaid Paint has Koolaid and water.  Period.  Color Me Koolaid has cornstarch and Koolaid for outdoor paint.  If I’m using Koolaid, all of the paint is outdoor paint. You can add food coloring to flour and make paint, too.  

2. Dye yarn (More tips) and wool with Koolaid.  Here is a bit of the science underlying Koolaid dyes and cotton.

3. Here is Flinn’s ink recipe.  Here is the ink recipe I used with my teens; although I didn’t use gum arabic.  Use q-tips to write messages.  Here is an ink recipe with tea and iron.  All three recipes are similar.

4. Here is egg tempera.  Here, here, and here are posts about natural dyes.  It helps to use mordants and fixatives when you dye fabrics or wool.

5. Before you buy expensive alcohol ink to make pictures, try these DIY versions:  Homemade Alcohol Ink or Make Your Own Alcohol Ink.  (Guess what?  You can use powdered dyes, such as Ritz or Koolaid.)



No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...