One topic that arises in Physics, Physical Science, and Young Explorers Chemistry and Physics is
Electricity. Electricity lends itself to hands-on activities. We use snap circuit sets initially. (If you buy used sets, you may need replacement parts.). This guide and and the instruction manual projects introduce basic circuitry. My husband, Rob, uses one Physics class for Snap Circuits. Rob moves on to Squishy Circuits in Physics.
I teach Physical Science frequently. After an introduction to circuits, I bring out TOPS Science Electricity and a box of materials: bulbs, batteries, aluminum foil, tape, LEDs, etc. Here is Electricity for younger students. I have a lesson on drawing circuits and include practice drawing circuits.
This summer, Paul, ten, will learn about electricity. Our little household will use the snap circuits, draw circuit diagrams, and probably do squishy circuits. We will have to gauge his interest. When I teach electricity, I check on the students’ prior knowledge. Some of my Co-op classes have used the TOPS Science program extensively. Instead of a lengthy unit, I ask the kids to show me a few circuits and explain the components. Then we move on. Really.
What are we going to do? Paul has used Snap Circuits and Makey-Makey, and Little Bits. Paul’s daddy is a software engineer and brings new kits all the time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment