Another model I like a lot is a Groundwater Model. Usually, the educator from Soil and Water has to spend most of the time explaining an what an aquifer is, not a long pollution harangue. The Groundwater Model looks like a giant ant farm. Kids are fascinated. You can make your own Groundwater Model or this simple model. Here and here are simple groundwater models. Yes, this is verging on School, not Camp. If you are hosting a cousins camp with a Nature theme, it’s worthwhile to contact Soil and Water to see if they have the models and could lead a session for your kids.
Monday, June 29, 2020
Mad Science Camp: Watersheds, Groundwater, and Nature Camp
When I do a Nature Camp, I may add a Watershed lesson, especially if I invite an educator from the local DEP or Soil and Water Conservation group. Usually, the kids test the water quality. I borrow an Enviroscape Watershed Model and explain what a watershed is. Now, my emphasis is on issues and solutions—not a harangue or a propaganda lecture. Issues include dog poop and solutions, such as cleaning up after your pet. We talk about stewardship of God’s creation. Kids love the Watershed Model, especially, when we add little plastic animals or large Clifford dogs to talk about dog poop. I teach these lessons with the Enviroscape model myself. I let the educator focus on water testing. Here is the classic diy watershed model, a ball of crumpled paper.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment