Wednesday, June 17, 2020

How on earth have you tried so many types of experiments and science ideas?

I bet you don’t believe I’ve actually tried most of the experiments I write about.  I have—really!  I taught in both private and public schools before tackling Co-op.  Over my career, I have taught Earth Science, Biology, Physical Science, Anatomy, Environmental Science, Chemistry....and several AP sciences.  My goal is 50 labs each year.  There is some of my experience.  Each year, my kids hosted kindergarten science outreach events.  Now, add in some science consulting.  I did seminars for teachers on hands-on science.  

I led Camp.  Initially, I led Camp at private schools.  When parents pay big bucks, the camp had better rock.  Friends at my church asked me to do Camp.  Our pastor agreed.  We held VBS and followed up with a week of Science Camp.  Here is where I honed my background.  We had different themes every year.  Many of my kids were part of large families; the same kids returned.  Consequently, we needed loads of different science themes.  Camp requires loads of activities, too.  Imagine 40 or 50 kids, aged 4-14, with short attention spans.  I needed 40-50 activities, labs, experiments, and fun games to engage the kids for 15-20 hours of annual Camp.  Here’s the other problem; when an idea tanks, you need back-up plans with more ideas.  Oh!  There were kids who arrived at 7:30 am, when I arrived, and stayed until 2:00 pm, when I departed.  I had to plan extra for those kids—especially when the kids want to help.  So, yes, I really have had experience trying looooaaaaddds of science experiments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...