What is POGIL? These packets have models or charts and questions. The packets guide the student through a concept with simple models. One of the earliest POGIL projects was done at the college level. Students used Chemistry: A Guided Inquiry, 47 activities, to learn chemistry. Students work in teams of four with the instructor as a guide. This approach can replace all traditional instruction—no lectures at all. I like to use POGIL exercises more sparingly. Here is Photosynthesis and Cellular Respiration (answer key). My teens work in pairs to answer questions. We review all of the answers together as a class. I do circulate among the students as they work on questions. Mostly, I answer their questions with, ‘Why don’t we look at the model? What information is provided in the model?’ Let your child struggle a bit. Adding a few POGIL exercises will elevate your instruction.
No comments:
Post a Comment