I’m always amazed when kids respond to sound and light experiments at Science Camp. Sound and Light fall under the heading of General Science or Physical Science. I have used Sound and Light as themes during Science Camp because so many kids returned to Camp every summer. I needed to vary the themes. Let me make some suggestions for Sound and Light experiments or demonstrations. When I lead Science Camp, I look for activities that are engaging. I want the kids to associate science with fun. Learning something new is optional at Camp. BTW, optical illusions dovetail well with the theme, Light.
Sound:
1. Start with a few tuning fork experiments. Tuning forks are about $5 each at Amazon.
2. Make a Bee Hummer. This activity was a big hit at Camp. Experiment with standard and jumbo craft sticks. Test the difference between twine, cotton thread, and polyester yarn, using the same lengths.
3. Two classic experiments are Head Harps and Secret Bells. Try a similar activity, Spoon and String. Do a small and large spoon produce different sounds?
4. Make Palm Pipes with PVC pipe. Compare sounds from different diameter pipes. I had kids at Camp whose family owned a construction company. They sanded the rough ends of PVC pipes by rubbing it aggressively against a concrete surface. I bought this set of Palm Pipes to use at Camp. The kids can take home PVC pipe bits.
5. If you can buy some vinyl at the thrift store, try to make a record player. Vinyl records may prove to be a novelty for some kids.
Light:
1. Have you heard about the initiative, Liter of Light? We made Solar Bottle Bulbs at camp. We cut holes in a giant cardboard box to insert the plastic bottles. Kids were in the box off and on the entire week of Camp. My friend, Marisa, a genius, put clear and translucent colored cups in the holes and inserted battery-powered tea lights. The little kids, especially, were enthralled.
2. Light Painting might be too sophisticated for Camp. However, teen helpers might like to give it a try and demonstrate light painting to younger kids. I know I’m interested.
3. Pick up CDs or DVDs at the thrift store to See Rainbows.
4. Make a periscope.
5. Room 6 has several, simple experiments with Light Refraction, working in stations. BTW, stations make sense for large groups at Science Camp. Break kids into teams to circulate among several activity or experiment stations.

No comments:
Post a Comment