Thursday, March 14, 2024

Kingdom Animalia: Phylum Poifera

 The Biology Co-op class just started Kingdom Animalia with Phylum Porifera.  Here is the slideshow we used.  Our representative organism is the sponge.  The kids are going to make Sponge Clay Models with polymer clay.  (I like Sculpey or Fino.  You need to warm up the clay to make it pliable.  Be sure to bake the models when finished.  I have NOT had any problem with fumes baking Sculpey in the oven at home.).   The kids are using this sponge coloring sheet, this coloring worksheet, and this sponge sheet to create paper dissections.  Additionally, I ordered natural sponges to add sponge paint to the background, just for fun.  The kids are crafting origami models, too.  Here are instructions for a sea anemone.  Our goal is to see if we can replace the experience of dissecting—or at least supplement the experience.  I’m in uncharted territory.  

BTW there are excellent paper dissection kits, such as this Sponge from Getting Nerdy or this Fish from Origami Organelles.  I want my kids to make their own paper dissections, perhaps with coloring sheets and colored card stock or construction paper.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...