Monday, March 11, 2024

Microscope Labs

 How do you teach kids how to use a microscope?  The traditional introduction is ‘e’ lab, using the letter ‘e’ slide.  


 Another classic lab is the Human Cheek Cell Lab.   Here is the traditional introduction to the microscope, viewing slides, and making simple wet mounts.  Read this article about microscopes; it compares resolution with magnification.  

I do NOT take the conventional approach.  Usually, I get our U.S. and foreign currency and let the kids look for security devices.  The kids learn how to use both digital and light microscopes.  Instead, the kids work on microscope slides in batches.  I want them to spend time sketching and identifying slides.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...