Good Will online has listings for Kitchen Science kits. I never buy these. It’s the volcano illustrated in the box. I ban all volcanos, models of the solar system, and Mentos and Coke experiments from Mad Science Camp— or Science Fair, for that matter. Not happening. Your kids have seen and done these. Now, I do like the theme, kitchen science. Start by printing clip art and having your kids make science posters or bumper stickers. Kids seem to need the clip art images for inspiration. Bonus points for a colorful periodic table. Place the art everywhere in your camp space.
Here are some time-tested experiments from Kiwi Science, such as Ice Experiments. I used Melting Ice with Salt at Camp. I thought the experiment was kind of lame; the kids didn’t at all. Here are fifty more ideas.
What do we do at Camp? One standard experiment is Color-changing Milk. Simple, easy, and always successful. We use the Fizz Wizard and Jammin’ Jelly Chemistry Kit. For large groups, I do buy a class set so each team has a set of instructions, labeled containers, and tiny spoons. (I buy large quantities of food-grade refill chemicals to refill the little containers.). I require the kids to do five of the experiments from the kit before they make potions and a huge mess. The kids like for me to taste their creations. Make sure to add sugar. Yuck. We also do red cabbage experiments. The ‘magic’ crystals from the Fizz Wizard kit are red cabbage powder.
Another hit is Periodic Table Elements Sugar Cookies from Young Explorers Chemistry and Physics. What a blast! Your kids are going to have a very full morning of fun.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This year I’m pulling up all the stops to get things organized. How?
This year is going to be different! Ha! Who hasn’t said that? But, I’ve implemented some changes. I put together a series of lessons whic...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment