Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Family Science: Spinners

 Okay, many of these spinners may seem more like crafts.  Exploratorium has these Flipsticks and templates.  I use these for Camp. The flipsticks are thaumatropes and based on persistence of vision.   Here are a few more ideas.  Another type of spinner is the zoetrope and this template. (Here is another template.). Zoetropes and this Whirling Watcher are optical illusions based on persistance of vision.  CD Spinners are optical illusions, too. I save lids and CDs to make these spinners.  (The original idea and templates were in the magazine, Family Fun.  CD Spinners are always a hit at Camp.  Here are more sources of printable.)  Educational Innovations sells spinning tops and this set of instructions with an explanation of the physics.  The plastic Tippe Tops sometimes work better than the wooden tops.  EI sells raddleback spinners, too.  (Here is even more physics about tops, raddleback toys, and gyroscopes—too much physics.) My husband, Rob, teaches Physics classes, not I.  I keep spinning toys on hand for Camp.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...