Friday, December 11, 2020
Science Outreach
Has your Co-op considered doing some science outreach? Co-op groups often host activities at the local library, such as popsicle catapults. When I taught full time, I sponsored outreach events every year. What goes into planning? First, select and test the experiments. Make a list of all supplies needed, including t-shirts, safety glasses, craft stir sticks, and paper towels for clean-up. Here are my Mad Science plans with ideas, supplies, and links. How many kids will attend the event? How long is the event? Do a test run first. Invite three or four young friends to try the experiments. Pull all of the materials and directions and conduct the labs with the test group. What did you forget? Which experiment was too hard? How long does each experiment last? Did you use more materials than planned? For the initial outreach event, try to have enough experiments for 45 minutes, usually five or six experiments. These events are rewarding for all participants. Your teens will gain leadership skills and the kids will have a blast. Below are a few pix from outreach events I have sponsored.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...




No comments:
Post a Comment