Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Elementary Science Curriculum: Apologia’s Young Explorer’s Series

During my academic career I taught mainly secondary students a variety of subjects, especially Chemistry.  However, as a secondary teacher, I helped select and shape the science program for the elementary grades.  Home-school families often keep their focus on the basics, especially younger children.  Consider adding elementary Science to your Co-op.  I like Apologia’s Young Explorer’s Series.  I taught Anatomy through the local Co-op for a group of kids aged six to eleven.  Young Explorer’s has two levels of ‘Notebooking Journals’.  I used both levels for the Anatomy course.  It can be a little tricky.  I had the older kids work in their journals, while I quizzed or scribed for the younger kids.  We did loads of ‘Try this!’ activities together.  The books in the Young Explorer’s series have excellent projects, labs, and exercises.  Additionally, the Notebooking Journals have syllabi.

Your Co-op may want to commit to three years and do the three Zoology books.  These books are excellent to introduce science to elementary students.  I recommend using the Notebooking Journals, but they aren’t essential to the program.  Donna Young has TOC planners.  (TOC is table of contents.). Hey, if you and your children just read the books side by side, everyone will learn a great deal of science. There are used copies available through Good Will online, eBay, ThriftBooks, and Amazon.  It will take an investment of time to track down a good price for the textbooks and journals.



No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...