Tuesday, February 20, 2024

HHMI: Viruses and Epidemiology

 HHMI or Howard Hughes Medical Institute has an educator resource called Biointeractive with lessons.  These resources are used for IB, AP, or college-level courses, and supposedly General Biology.  Look at Patterns of Zoonotic Disease.  This lesson is directed to General Biology at the high school level.  I think my current Co-op Biology class will be interested;  many teens would find the material daunting.  Look at the file of resources for Teaching Viruses and Epidemiology.  Here is the student worksheet.  Click on Virus Explorer for 3D models of different viruses.  The models and fact sheets are useful for any level of Biology.  HHMI has excellent free resources.  Examine these topics and videos carefully.  For example, I do NOT teach about sexually-transmitted viruses or diseases.  I do NOT think these are appropriate topics for a General Biology class.  Sensitive topics should be taught by parents, when the parents feel the teen is ready for the information.




No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...