Sorry for the big gap in posts. My husband, son and I went to Italy—where I got sick. We had an interesting experience. My son called the Embassy and found a doctor who came to the apartment we rented. We returned home and spent another two weeks ill.
When I teach Genetics, I do blood tests. I bought Eldoncards to test ABO and rH blood types. We’ll use simulated blood tests first before we use the Eldoncards, which are pricey. The kids need to understand the idea of anti-sera and blood testing. Here is a simulated blood test lab which uses milk, food coloring, vinegar, and water. If you teach Chemistry, Investigating Blood Types has simulated ABO blood types using hydrochloric acid, sulfuric acid, barium nitrate, and silver nitrate. The lab calls for 2M solutions of the acids. However, 1M solutions should work. I keep both silver nitrate and barium nitrate on hand for precipitation reactions when I teach Chemistry. The lab calls for 0.1 M solutions of the two nitrates. Both nitrates are pricey. Use small amounts for this lab. If you want to buy a kit for a larger Co-op group, I like Innovating Science’s Genetics of Blood Types, sold at Home Science Tools. The instructions are clear and the price for a kit is reasonable. I love teaching the genetics of blood tests!







No comments:
Post a Comment