Which textbook are we using? I am too cheap to buy the third edition of Apologia Chemistry. Some of my kids do use the third edition. Most of the kids read from the first or second edition of Apologia Chemistry. Consider the textbook as a safety net. The kids should read each module. I do not think the questions and tests are thorough. Frankly, many of my problem sets, tests, and labs come from a wide variety of sources. Apologia textbooks are written for Christians and widely accepted through online homeschool programs. Apologia Chemistry is fine as an overview for Chemistry.
I have taught Chemistry for over 25 years and used several textbooks. Here is a sample table of contents for high school Chemistry. This is my overall agenda. (I doubt I will cover Nuclear Chemistry.). Otherwise, these are the major topics in Chemistry. Over my career, I have accumulated a number of excellent resources and ideas. I have fixed ideas. For example, I always include qualitative analysis, solubility rules, and organic chemistry. For my kids, the textbook is a resource and guide. What other textbooks do I keep on hand? Introductory Chemistry has loads of problem sets I assign. Prentice Hall Chemistry has some of the best quick lab ideas. The teacher’s guide has clear explanations for each lab.
Here is my advice. Is this the first or second time you are teaching Chemistry? Stick to the textbook. Have the kids do all of the On Your Own problems and questions. Use the tests for Apologia Chemistry’s second edition. Are you planning to teach Chemistry again? Now start branching out. Stick with the Apologia textbook and supplement with extra labs. You may want to add more nomenclature or gas law problems. Keep in mind your goal—an introduction to Chemistry. Apologia Chemistry provides a solid introduction.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment