I bought a
smART Pixelator toy from
Good Will with an organizer with extra beads, sequins, and pegs. Paul, Lacie, and I set up the device and made a robot today after classes. The Pixelator is a combination of Perler beads and Lite Brite on steroids. We made a simple robot. We also took a screen shot of a pokeball to see how hard it is to upload an image and transfer the image to the Pixelator screen. The Pixelator requires a smartphone or an iPad. I set up the account on my iPad. Lacie set up the Pixelator. It requires three C batteries. The Pixelator has an adaptor and SD card. Assembly was easy. The iPad connects with bluetooth to the Pixelator. Once you select an image on the app on the iPad, the image transfers to the Pixelator. The lights are the colors of the melty beads. Once we made the robot, I ironed the pattern according to the directions. After 30 seconds, some of the beads moved. I was able to replace the beads and iron it again successfully. (Perler beads often require a longer period of heat from the iron than described in the directions.) The Pixelator is pretty cool. Kids can upload any image and convert it to lights and load the beads on to the plastic template. Start with simple 15 minute projects. I think the beads are smaller than Perler beads. I plan to order some to compare the sizes. There are smART Pixelators available for sale on
eBay. The original kit includes beads--not very many. eBay has
organizers with extra beads, sequins, and pegs. If your child like Perler beads she may like the Pixelator.
This is an image of the home screen paired with an image. There are images on the SD card.
We selected the robot and the image appears on the Pixelator.

Here is the finished robot.
No comments:
Post a Comment