Friday, March 27, 2020

Reintroduction: Are you even qualified to teach science?

Good question!  There are new people looking for help with science.  I can imagine you are wondering if I am qualified to write about science.  When I taught in private schools, occasionally a parent frustrated with a child’s performance in science would ask if I was even qualified to teach.  I was happy to supply my resume.  I kept it up to date.  I am certified in Biology and Chemistry, with National Board Certification in Chemistry.  I taught in private prep schools, public school, and a small Christian school after I retired.  For several years I was an adjunct instructor for two nonmajor, chemistry courses at a local university.  When I taught in a public high school, I was permitted to have Co-op Chemistry, Biology, and Physical Science classes after school in my classroom.  I have been working with Co-op classes for eight years.  These are the classes I have taught over my career: Earth Science, Physical Science, Life Science, Biology, Active Physics, Human Biology, Chemistry, AP Chemistry, AP Biology, and AP Environmental Science.  In private schools, science teachers teach nearly everything—I drew the line at Physics.  In public school, I generally taught Chemistry and AP Environmental Science.  Additionally, my home-school friends asked me to lead summer science camps.  I had hosted several camps at two private schools.  For several summers, we had science camp at our church.  Now, I have Co-op classes.  This year is Chemistry; last year was Biology.  These two classes are in demand for high school students.  This coming summer, Quarantine permitting, friends and I are planning a week-long science camp.  Yes, my background is unusually diversified for a science teacher.  Additionally, I have been reviewing home-school portfolios for the past eight to ten years—I don’t remember when I began.  Friends at church trusted me to be fair reviewing their portfolios for the local public school systems.  Word traveled.  I became more familiar with a variety of Catholic home-school programs.  Before I retired, I did some consulting for College Board promoting and teaching hands-on science.  For the past twenty years, I wrote grant proposals for science programs—mostly environmental projects because there is a lot of cash.   I think I’m qualified—mostly I’m opinionated.  I entered a new phase this year when close family friends asked me to home-school their freshman daughter.  Lacie and I are figuring out her curriculum.  Happily she loves Chemistry.  The Quarantine means my nine year old grandson, Paul, is home-schooled for the first time since his public school closed for the year.  Qualified?  I do know I bring a vast amount of experience to teaching science.

No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...