Next the kids need to learn how to write Lewis Dot Diagrams from the electron configurations. I need to make a video. I assigned March Madness to complete. Finally there are PeriodmTrend activities. The first Periodic Trend activity is graphing ionic radii and the second is Periodicity in 3D, both in the Chapter 6.3 packet. Then I want the kids to organize Alien Periodic Tables. Here is the Khan Academy video series for Periodic Trends. This week I will make graphs and models to post as examples. See below.
Graph Ionic Radii Activity
I am graphing electronegativity NOT ionic radii.
The data is right in the 6.3 link above. This is the electronegativity data.
Include a title.
Label the axes.
Set the correct scale for each axis.
The scale for each axis may be different.
Plot the data. Label the elements.
3D Periodic Trends Activity: I plotted ionic radii. Plot a different property.
The 3d Periodic Table is Plotting in Three Dimensions in packet 6.3.
The Flinn activity is similar.
I used plastic straws and measured the lengths in mm.
I was limited by the length of the straw. The idea is to visualize the pattern. This periodic trend in ionic radii. Note how the trend changes as you do down the Periodic Table and across the Periodic Table. Notice that only s-block and p-block elements are represented in the trends. The s-block and p-block elements are called main group or representative elements.
No comments:
Post a Comment