After a brief review of electron configurations today, the kids are doing Flinn’s Flame Tests lab. This copy has teacher’s notes—always useful to new instructors. The teacher’s notes have answers to the energy calculations, too. We are testing the lighters and sterno results with the flame colors. I have color flame birthday candles to use with the spectroscope.
The kids always forget how to conduct lab with an open flame. I have to watch the kids closely. Ideally, the kids should have on long sleeve cotton shirts, aprons, and safety glasses. Remind them not to lean over the flame with paper, hair, or sleeve. The kids compared the flame colors in the butane lighter and with the sterno heat source. The results were similar. I was concerned the sterno would mask the color of the metallic salts. We went over the Energy calculations in class. The completed calculations in the data table serve as the lab grade. Here are some pix.
No comments:
Post a Comment