Thursday, May 7, 2020

Mad Science Camp: Make Tornados and a Fountain

Are you planning Science Camp?  Our household is busy doing experiments several times each week.    Today, we are making tornados. When I plan for Science Camp, I look for activities which keep kids engaged for 20 minutes.  So, if we make tornados, we test several versions—just as we did Clouds for Weather Camp.  Here’s the problem.  Some kids like an activity more than others.  Plan to test two or three versions.  If the kids wash the bottles, remove the labels, and test three types, they should be occupied for 20 minutes.  My policy is to let them stick with an activity as long as they please at Camp.  I have had kids stick with Clouds or Tornados for 45 minutes while the rest of the group has moved on.

 The simplest tornado is Tornado in a Bottle: soda bottle, dish soap, and a bit of glitter.  Compare the home-made tornado with this Pet Tornado. (We have many science toys and equipment for camp at our house.). I love Tornado tubes (or vortex tubes— I have several I had planned to use for our Science Camp in June.). The tube screws on to two soda bottles.  First, test the tube with different sizes of soda bottles.  Look at Steve Spangler’s ideas for tornado tubes.  I have a Sick Science Terror Twister kit.  (I think it was part of a science lot from Good Will.  The cow gets stuck and blocks the vortex connector.)  We are testing both commercial and DIY tornado tubes: soda bottles, washer, and duct tape.  Warning!  These tornado tubes often leak.  Build them outside or test them over the sink.  BTW, we had no luck with the washer and duct tape tornado—which is why I buy tornado tube connectors.

I decided to break out Water Wonders, too.  This kit is hard to find.  (I have no idea when or where I bought it.). Happily, the kit contains two pieces: a tornado tube and a fountain connector, both of which are easy to find.  The fountain connector has two straws; one end of each has small holes.  Jam the ends with small holes into the connector.  Adjust the two straws until the fountain spouts.

Guess what?  Our trials took about 20 minutes.  Here is a video of the tornados and fountain tests.


No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...