Thursday, May 14, 2020

Apologia Science: Digital Portfolios

Many of you are veteran home-schoolers. Do you keep digital portfolios?  I started this blog for my Home-school Science Co-op classes.  Online schools require vidence labs were completed.  I posted dozens of photos to my blog as the kids worked on labs or activities.  When I taught in private and public schools, I had had access to Learning Management Systems.  As soon as Google Classroom became available free to individuals, I jumped on it for my Co-op classes.  I want complete records for my science classes.

Here is how I keep digital portfolios.  I post assignments, tutorials, grades, and samples into Google Classroom.  Here is a screenshot of my resources. Google  Classroom archives to Google Drive.  I scan or take photos of completed work.  (I had been scanning into a thumb drive using the copier at the local library until Quarantine closed the libraries locally.  The copier produces better images.)  I attach scanned documents, essays or reports written in Google Docs (or emailed to me) into Classroom to keep records as I post grades.  Google Classroom can produce a spreadsheet with grades.  I am using a combination of Google Suite tools, including my YouTube video channel to both produce, archive, and document content for my Co-op classes.

Why?  Usually in May or June, online academies request grades for Co-op classes.  I can submit grades on a spreadsheet, copy my blog address, and include work samples and photos with my science credentials to the online schools.  Usually, I include a brief letter with relevant links; creating records for a digital portfolio to submit takes much less time than sorting through stacks of assignments.

Here is what I do.  As soon as an assignment is completed, I take a photo or scan a document.  (Yes, grainy photos count.). When I add a grade for an assignment to Google Classroom, often I include the photo or scanned document.  When the kids create reports, the pdf documents or Google Docs can be attached to Classroom, too.  Every lab or hands-on activity requires photos.  I add these to my blog; the blog becomes part of my digital portfolio.  I am in the habit of making daily posts; I usually have to submit digital portfolios with evidence of labs completed to several online academies.  I want my Co-op classes to count for high school credit.  I invite Academy advisors to join my Google Classroom to see the depth and breath of my assignments.  They receive links from my blog.  Don’t do this alone.  I am confident your kid can help.  Get him in the habit of labeling, scanning, and photographing his work.  Let her nag you about entering grades and documents to Classroom.  Let teens keep their own records in your Drive or on the household laptop.  Yes, this is a lot of work.  The pay-off comes in June when you are submitting your portfolio.

No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...