Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Older Tech and Microscopes

Update: I ordered a Smartphone Microscope adapter from Amazon to try.  Usually, the smartphone’s camera quality governs the image quality.  I want to try using a smart phone with a traditional, light microscope.

I’m charging an old iPhone 4 for lab Thursday.  The kids are using traditional microscopes, digital microscopes, and Clip-on Microscopes for cell phones.  I pulled out bacterial and protozoan microscope slides.  Below are a few pix to compare the resolution with the different devices.  I ordered a couple Samsung 303 c312 Chromebooks from eBay, just to use with the digital microscopes.  The clip-on microscope for the cell phone has limited resolution.  However, it’s under $5 from Walmart—due to arrive in two or three weeks.  Despite the limitations, even a clip-on microscope gives kids the experience of using a microscope.  Turn them loose to look at various objects in your house.





No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...