Friday, October 29, 2021

Macromolecules: Food Tests Lab

 My plans for Tuesday were upended.  Paul, eleven, is joining us for class.  I have a new student starting Bio Tuesday, too.  I’m postponing the lecture planned and doing food tests instead.  I scrounged through my kits and chemicals for the chemicals and food samples.  Home Science Tools has this Chemistry of Food Chemistry Kit and Food Science Projects.  I’m using this slideshow, which has most of the food tests. I keep the slideshow up on the TV so the kids can compare their results to the samples in the slideshow.   I found a small amount of Sudan III for this lipid test.  We will do the the brown bag test, too.  The Benedict’s test for sugars, such as glucose, requires the test tube to be placed in a hot water bath.  I use an electric kettle so it’s easy to heat the water for the hot water bath.  I pulled cornstarch, corn sugar, sucrose, corn syrup, gelatin, and oils.  I’m buying some chips and have beans for the kids to test.  Should be fun!





No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...