Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Cell Size

 Update: The kids compared surface area to volume with several different sized boxes.  I distributed M&Ms after they measured the boxes.  The assessment is an explanation of why cells are small using the surface area to volume ratio.  I used mini M&Ms, regular M&Ms and Brownie M&Ms to reinforce the idea that mini M&Ms have the greatest surface area to volume ratio, like cells.

Why are cells so small?  Here is the answer.  Cells must move food and water in and waste out.  It’s all about the surface area to volume ratio.  I’m using two activities: Candy Coated Biology and Calculation of Surface Area to Volume Ratio.  I pulled out rulers and boxes I have saved.  How do I assess activities like these?  I ask the kids to write a brief paragraph explaining why cells are small using surface area to volume.  Whenever possible, I just ask kids to explain the concept to me in class.  Kids remember nearly everything we do in class and almost nothing that I say in class.  Bring on the activities.  








No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...